Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Retreat Into Paradise


My weekend two day stint and vacation in the Bahamas is over. Sunday afternoon I boarded the M.V. Explorer with an exciting and welcoming reception complete with introductions and a faculty/staff social hour. The excitement, enthusiasm and optimism about this great learning experience of all aboard are matched only by our desire to see the world. With only a day and a half in Nassau and Cable Beach, I admit that the paradise of the Bahamas was well worth the wait. Despite the revolving door of American tourists, the Islands of the Bahamas lived up to their reputation, complete with kind and hospitable people and picturesque clear waters and beaches. Downtown Nassau with its colorful shades of colonial architecture was complimented with warm 80-degree weather and a warm breeze this week

Each day I venture off our ship and I witness the lure of the Bahamas, pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters and old British ways. My weeklong Orientation with Semester at Sea has started, but allows for some free time to continue my explorations of the island. Despite 30 years of post-colonial rule, the Bahamians retain much of their old Commonwealth practices and cultural mannerisms, complete with driving rules, language, and architecture, not to mention the duty free liquor and jewelry so many tourists clamor for. Still, the weather kept me out of the water this past weekend when we had strong winds and cooler temperatures from the Northwest, and time limited my activities and exploring. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the Bahamian friendliness and the downtown pink colonial architecture, and explored with some new friends among the staff and faculty on Monday.

The Bahamian people lived up to their reputation. On Sunday, I met a young Bahamian woman and we shared a lunch at Quiznos while discussing the tourism of the 700 island nation. Right down the street from the Starbucks and Burger King, I asked her what’s it like to live among 200,000 inhabitants and over 5 million visitors each year. She was eating at Quiznos because it was actually cheaper than many of the Bahamian restaurants close to where she works downtown. Globalization versus localization I guess. The challenge I assume, other than being asked for directions incessantly and bothered by young Americans on Spring Break, is the realization that this land of no taxes and very few other commodities relies almost exclusively on tourism. Luckily the Bahamas missed the disasters of the States during a record-setting hurricane season, but what do you do when the island is destroyed and visitors choose instead to spend their money elsewhere?

On my flight in from JFK, I met a welcoming young man from Nassau, an engineer and I talked about shopping. We shared a taxi and he ironically explained why he prefers shopping in the States, having recently returned from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. We talked about places to visit and how to avoid many of the tourist traps on the island. The reality is that many of the goods sold and provided here are very expensive, and locals paid low local wages cannot afford the luxuries of the tourists.

Paradise.

A nation like the Bahamas must struggle with the permanent landscape of tourists arriving and leaving while remaining friendly and welcoming. But how do you live in Paradise? How many times a day must you be asked for which bus you can take or how to hitch a taxi ride? Are these the daily inconveniences part of the compromise of living in a tourist supported country or city? What other sacrifices must be made to welcome foreigners from a different land, often those who make fun of local customs or refuse to accept local currency? “What time is it at home?” “Why don’t they serve French fries?” “Why do they talk funny?” When do the revolving doors in Nassau become more of a hassle then an advantage, impeding upon local culture? If it is possible to sell your culture, for what price?

I walk along famous street and explore and listen. I have found this to be one of my favorite activities in any country around the world. I often reflect about how fortunate and proud I am to be American and from States, and yet I overhear comments, witness behaviors and shun away at other times for being American. Despite the lore that we are from the land of the free and home of the brave, American politics and often individual behaviors from Americans make me embarrassed. Many travelers I meet wear Canadian flags and claim to be from the land of the North in order to disassociate themselves from their American brethren. The truth is, despite our many successes, the politics of the Pentagon and the State Department are known to all—our reputation is changing. Will we still receive tourists in the future?

5 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things have started off so well! I look forward to reading more. Enjoy! Steph

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Mark. Your descriptions are awesome. It sounds like people are so open and accepting. I glad all is well.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark,

Today, Jan. 22, was the first opportunity I've had to log onto your website and I really enjoyed your commentary. You have me thinking about the trip we're taking to St. John this summer and how I can be a traveler and not just a tourist. I must say that I was disappointed, however, to find Quiznos, Starbucks and Burger Kings set up in this island paradise. I've never visited there, and was surprised to learn from you that post-colonial rule has only been for the past 30 years. I didn't expect it to be so short a period - we'll be living on Pennhill Drive for 30 years this coming October. A young guy I've worked with since joining ML seven years ago, had plans to spend his honeymoon in the Bahamas about 5-6 years ago, and the island was struck hard by a hurricane and his hotel was considerably damaged. The travel agent rearranged their plans, and they spent their honeymoon on a different island. These people, whose livelihood depends on tourism are very resilient and resourceful. They re-built and refurbished, and I'll bet were up and running by the following year. Reconstruction gave everyone who could and would work, a job - thanks to insurance. Before ending, I want to say I was sad to read that you might perceive the politics of the Pentagon and US State Department to have negatively impacted the reputation of Americans abroad. I'd like to hear more about your experiences as well as the faculty, staff and students as they visit and explore the various nations/cultures on the 100 day voyage.

Safely return to us in May,
Aunt Pat

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mark I feel so bad I never got to say good bye!!

I miss you here, coming into work just isn't the same without you!

It sounds like you are learning all you can and I'm so happy for you!

Good for you Mark!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry that was me
~Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home